Monday, July 7, 2008





Well summer brings many awesome events from going to the ballpark, to the beach, family vacations, river runs and etc. There is another tradition of the Church during the summer for children ages from K-6th grade, this is known as Vacation Bible School (VBS). I went when I was a child, and have been a leader for several summers. I am not blogging to slam the idea of entertaining kids during the hot summer months that show them Christ our Lord and Savior. But I am going to say, why is that Mega-churches feel that they have to a Disneyland feel when they have such an event that is supposed to lead children closer to Jesus. I was with my aunt dropping off my cousin this morning at VBS at a mega-church, and I felt that I just walk into the "Happiest place on Earth!!!" It was filled with long lines, anxious children, staff that seemed to know what they were doing, parents waiting to send their children off to the land of VBS for 3 hours. What are the expectations of having a Disneyland feel for a Kingdom of God experience? I know I am a cynic about being too flashy and too pop-culture, my view tends to lead me towards why do not have VBS for parents that need a refresher course in how to communicate the basics of the Gospel to their children. I am perplex in how the Church continues to spend money in areas that have such a minimal effect on the target(s) in which they are hoping that a few seeds will spring up and grow into mighty harvest of believers. My question from this experience is this... Who are the ones responsible for planting seeds of belief within children in regards in having a Faith in Jesus?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

you're just a hater....