Monday, September 17, 2007

Worthy or Not Worthy




Well folks, I have just read a article about an issue that hits home for me. The article discusses the issue of Youth Ministers asked to be paid for Part-time wage and wanted to work full time. This article was featured in the Group Youth Ministry Magazine the Sept/Oct 2007 issue. Why does this topic tingle my fancy if interest, well I am glad you have ask.


I am served in a couple of Youth Ministry positions. Each time they were a Part-time gig, both also had the term intern slap to the title. I will state that each time they were my decision to take the position due to that I needed the training. I will humbly say that I learned a great deal from these positions. I will ever be grateful to these local Churches giving me the chance to minister and learn do's and dont's. But I will chat about those at another time.


My issue is this, how can any local church that claims to have concern or a communicated passion in discipling youth in their church and community and expect a person to do this on a part-time basis? Let me ask another question, does a Lead Pastor work just part-time? Does anyone person that is a minister of the Gospel of the Kingdom of God? As a dear Professor of my would say, are you listening to me, really what he meant was, WAKE UP JERKS!!! Of course any person that is a minister such as a pastor to a layperson their work is not a part-time gig. So why even state we work full-time vs. part-time?


The reason is simple, we want to find worth or significance in what we do. If we find worth from others in what we do, we want some sort of compensation for it. There is nothing wrong with this thinking. It is like a person that works on a construction site and works 12 long hours in the blistering sun framing a building, running electrical, and even put up some drywall. Well you can see this person has the talent in various areas: framing, electrical, drywall hanging. OK, then at the end of this long day this person has a strong assumption that his boss will see his worth and pay him accordingly, then the boss comes over and admires the person's work. Then says, "Thank you for your work it worthy of a great pay... but all I can give you is $25 for the days work." What is this boss thinking 25 bucks for 12 hours of hard work for a person that has value of greater value then the compensation that was given. Is this not what we the Church do to our Pastors, and especially our Youth ministers?


It is a sad shame that we tell people that they are worthy of a position and they have proven themselves with impeccable talents that ought to be compensated for, but there is nothing that is given. I believe that is not truly about the money, though a fair wage is due, it is about worth. Worth is what something that all mankind seek in various forms. In the case of a Pastor of Youth or a Pastor of a local church, what they are seeking is that what they give is received with appreciation and a manner of worth is attached to it. You might be asking is this a correct way of viewing this issue? God seeks those that will praise Him for He is worthy of all praise. Are you saying... no we are not God, but we long for worth or significance. I believe it is built into our innate being of life. It is not a sin to want to have worth, what is the sin is the attitude that we attach to the worth we seek.


I am been frustrated, resentful, bitter, and angry many times due to not being shown enough of appreciation of the work that I was doing. I know it is God who gives and supplies all what I need, but the supply comes in the form of the giving of those that we serve. That is if that is deal that has been made. Basically, if a local congregation is willing to pay for a person to be fully committed to that position they ought to provide for the needs of the person in full. This means simply there ought to be open communication between both parties in what the Pastor needs to be able to have the economics to live comfortably. My heart goes out to all Youth Pastors that get shafted in this lose of communication, but this is an issue for Lead Pastors as well. So, the Church needs to gets tush of the couch reach into their deep pockets of fiances, resources, and willing to meet the needs of their Pastors so they can live out their calling.


I think the article I read was good, but the author had a axe to grind with this issue. Encouraging to Youth Ministers, but harsh to local churches. Some really good ideas of cutting costs and helping those that have no idea to build a budget for the church to see how in depth it takes to aide a youth ministry.


In all we do as ministers lets us exercise godliness in all matters of life, especially us young ministers.

1 comment:

Lucas said...

Mike, this is one the greatest blog post I have ever read. You my friend are a true diplomat. Maybe a little too much Pollyanna, but exact at the same time. Thanks for perspective!