Monday, November 3, 2008

Like Father, Like Son


There was a movie many moons ago when I was a pre-teenager called Like Father, Like Son. It stared Dudley Moore and Kirk Cameron (1987). The plot of the movie was a gender switch of Freaky Friday. Well the movie portrayed both characters as the dad being a stuffy doctor and the son being lazy and unmotivated (sound like any modern day family). The story unfolds to describe both the father and son as they begin to understand each other through their particular struggles each face as a professional and a student. I remember watching it and thinking if only my dad could understand who I am and what I am about. To be honest, I did not want to know truly who he was or about, for at the time, like most pre-teenagers was at odds with pops. Be that as it may, fast forward 21 years later, just a bit over 2 decades I have realized in one conversation with my father that we are so much more alike then I ever had imagine.

The similarities range from personality, to personal experiences in school, to how we process information. I was listening to my father I was chuckling inside and out loud of the things he experience in his youth, and thought I am replaying deja vu moments of my youth. At that moment I thought how weird is this that a man I knew, but barely knew as a kid, developed the same walk of life. It is also not a surprise on the other hand, for we truly in many respects become like our parents whether good or bad. I think all we can do is hope that we take the good and discard the bad or change the elements to allow us to become more effective citizens of the Kingdom of God.

I remember growing up and in my 20's that my aim was to divorce myself from all that my father was in personality, character, person and etc., but as I sit here and type these words, I am believing how wrong were my thoughts. God knitted me specifically in my mother's womb with the DNA make-up of my parents to create a one of kind person in me (thank God that mold is done with.. lol). For I a product of the specific details of my parents in genetics as well in how they handle life as it was work out in front of me.

Now what is generally the question most will ask, well for me, I am going to be doing what I know what I am to do, but this insight illuminates more of how God crafted me and why I was born into the family I was, though I dislike the painful experiences, but I am becoming grateful for the family I am part of for from it I came to be and the man I am becoming.

I hope this personal anecdote helps bring in perspective we are mirror representations of our parents, whether good or bad we ought to embrace that God purposely placed us in that place for reasons greater than us. At least that is where I am with it.

No comments: